Wednesday, November 01, 2006

satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

So, not to set some strange precedent for writing on this thing, but a strange thing happened to me after work today. Before I tell you, let me back up.


The other night, I thought to myself, "Are there any good cooking show podcasts that I am not currently subscribing to?" I did the only normal thing I could think of and grabbed my handy LAUSD laptop and logged in to the itunes store. I had done this earlier in the day and I was really surprised to see that there were a large number of completely different albums being featured.

"Different how?" you ask? Well, their most distinguishing characteristic was their Japanese origin. I figured I had somehow done something wrong, and since I could still read the word "podcast" (and not much else), I clicked onward. To my horror, all of the podcasts were in Japanese as well....

What did I do?

I subscribed to one. To my new horror, I was not allowed to do this and was promptly redirected to the US itunes store.

"Since that is not that cool of a story, what happened today to cause you to tell that not so cool story?", you ask? Today I received a large package from the super cool and nice (I'm assuming) folks at Southern Lord records. The package contained the following: 4 cds, 4 Lps and one t-shirt. I was very excited. The cd I was most excited about was the new collaborative album by SunnO))) and Boris, two of my favorite bands recently. I was particularly excited about this cd because it contains a second cd that has a song I have yet to hear on it. I promptly place (insert, really) this cd into my aforementioned laptop.

itunes registers this cd as the audio accompaniment to the 8th grade literature anthology that I use in my classroom. More specifically, The Diary of Anne Frank, Act 1. Strange. So I take the cd out and try again. Same. I do the sensible thing and use the "advanced" tab on the tool bar to search the CDDB for the correct track names.

Right now, you're wondering why I am still writing and not checking the pasta water that is surely boiling in my kitchen. Remember the not so cool story I told earlier? itunes has decided to identify this cd as some Japanese cd using Japanese characters. itunes will not change it's mind either.

My question is simple. Why is my itunes Japanese?

Oh, and lastly, that song that I was so excited to hear is called Her Lips Were Wet With Venom (satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas).

And it rules.

2 comments:

Matt Pool said...

1. Japanese iTunes? No idea.

2. I would like to hear Her Lips Were Wet With Venom.

3. Disneyland?

Andrew said...

that happened to me too. my iBook told me that a's the necks cd was in fact allen ginsberg reading his poem "america." not even close, iBook. not even close.